Strength and balance classes, or falls prevention classes, are designed for people who are unsteady on their feet, are worried about falling or have had a fall. The classes focus on exercise and advice to improve your balance and confidence.
What happens each week?
When you first come to a class, your strength and balance will be assessed to make sure that the exercises you do are right for you. The Physiotherapist will also ask you about what you’d like to get out of coming to the class and about your confidence levels.
At the start of the class you will do some warm up exercises to loosen your muscles and joints.
You will then be guided through some exercises to work on your strength and stamina, as well as challenge your balance. The exercises will be adapted to suit your needs and we will make sure we work at your pace.
At the end of the session you will do some stretches and relaxation.
There is plenty of time to ask questions and advice from our specialist Physiotherapist. You will also be given an exercise sheet so you can carry on your exercises at home.
Who is the class for?
The class is for anyone who feels they have trouble with their balance. This can be due to a number of reasons such as:
- A long term condition such as Parkinson’s Disease or other neurological issues that affect balance
- A loss of feeling in your feet from conditions such as Diabetes
- Older adults often find their strength and balance reduces – it can be part of the aging process
What are the benefits of these classes?
- Research shows that exercises to work on stamina, strength and balance reduce people’s risk of falling and improve confidence
- Our classes are led by Physiotherapists, meaning that we can be sure we are targeting issues that are specific to you and will improve your balance
- Exercising in a group is a great way to keep you motivated; discussing your experiences with other people can also help you to feel more confident
Details of the class
Severn Physiotherapy run a weekly strength and balance class on a Thursday at 10 am. The classes are held at Walnut Grove in Portishead.
You can find more details about our classes by clicking here.
If you’d like to chat to us about our classes click here.