At Severn Physiotherapy, we’re passionate about our involvement with the local community and believe that being part of a thriving community boosts your health and wellbeing.
Research increasingly shows that our communities play a huge role in our wellbeing. We know that factors such as employment, a safe home, good social networks and safe areas for children to play have a big impact on having a happy and healthy life.
What do we mean by “community”?
In this context, community means the relationships and interests that bond us together giving us a shared stake in an area. The more positive our view community the more likely you are to have a feeling of control and a good support network, helping you to manage your health needs.
On the other hand, feeling lonely and isolated can be detrimental to your physical and mental health. Research shows that being lonely increases your risk of dying early.
Building a Healthier Community
Public Health England has this issue high on their agenda, and there are lots of resources available for people who want to take a lead in building a healthier community. Some of the key issues to think about are…
- Strong leadership
- A shared mindset of what people want from their community
- Lots of opportunities to get active
- Access to training and education
- Involving local businesses
Here’s some tips if you want to set the ball rolling in your neighbourhood…
- Set up a meeting with local people to see what they’re concerns are and how you might be able to tackle them
- Link in with existing community groups
- Organise an event to help people meet each other, such as a quiz night